Tuesday, August 21, 2007

From now on, I want everyone to call me "Dipsy"

Surf thread: Wayne Koestenbaum, Hotel Theory, Liberace, Soundies.

Brain thread: I like the simple way we named things in the past (movies, talkies, walky-talky, soundie, etc.) A soundie was the precursor to the music video; people made them in the 40s. What good sense. It is a recording of sound...what shall we call it? A soundie? Of course. Very good. Give the precursor to the branding department a raise.

Also, I like the way that British people do that nickname for everyday things thing (like brecky or telly), and how it doesn't sound cutesy or irritating, but somehow more sophisticated, sort of like really fancy rich people can have ridiculous nicknames like Lumpy or Poopy and use them in their professional and social lives and everyone's all like, "Oh yes, Poopy Smith--she's a dear," instead of being like, "Her name is Poopy?"

The whole word-combination kick we're on kind of creeps me out. Magalog. Magablog. And my least favorite Internet word of all: vlog. Shudder. What if blogs were called siteys instead? (It's like they're miniature websites--but accessible.) Would that name change alter the way people who post, post? Would my mom have a sitey?

8 comments:

Megan said...

edie sedgwick (the very first paris hilton, heiress famous for being famous.) had a brother named minty and a sister named suky.

she also called her molester-father something fucked up that ended in -y. these were not their real names, just like edie wasn't hers.

moral: do not become edie sedgwick after we start calling you dipsy. unless you're going to spend millions taking us out to fancy restaurants every night.

Anonymous said...

I can't guarantee that won't happen. I was, in fact, hoping that was one of the side-effects.

Sky Jack Morgan said...

She called her molester dad Fuzzie.
so gross.
I think a sitey is what boyscouts call that thing that goes on top of a sniper rifle.

I just watched Factory Girl. Very depressing.

For a whole year, I made people call me Captain. I introduced myself as captain, and I also put Cpt. Jack Morgan on every paper.
Professors were like, "captain? Were you in the military?"
And I said, "no but I fight for freedom every day."
A lot of people still call me captain.

Kathryn said...

i'm sorry i didn't call you dipsy today.

i'm sorry i didn't call our blog a sitey.

please don't start referring to me as poopy during client meetings. I mean please do.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

I've been keeping a book log for about 15 years. These days I call it my klog.

Anonymous said...

I know someone whose grandpa's real first name was General.

I realized last night that one of the Teletubbies is name Dipsy.

Megan said...

right, fuzzie! that is so fucking gross! factory girl made me have a panic attack it was so depressing. it made me feel sick for weeks. watch it only when you are happy and feeling firmly grounded in your identity. otherwise you will be convinced that you will become edie sedgwick, or that you are here, except worse, because you never had any money to begin with...

Kathryn said...

klog is funny