Sunday, August 26, 2007

whoop whoop parcel!

Kathy, thanks for linking to Parcel. I am sometimes so lazy that unless I can click on something and look at it I will not look at it.

My favorites are Elizabeth Cross's "So Sought, So Outside," and "Heart." And also the Sonneteers' lovely and messy poem-collages. Lovely and messy is by far my aesthetic preference, so I was really glad to see them in there.

I think a lot of magazines abandon lovely/messy in favor of intellectual/pretty/sounds nice, which is good, too, but I think lovely/messy gets left out too often. Mostly by snotty journals, but also by journals that are allegedly "experimental" yet are for some reason afraid of publishing text and image together. Or afraid of things that look different--and by that I don't just mean the use of a weird font.

I also hate journals that adopt one aesthetic, so you feel like you're reading a book of poems by the same boring person. I feel like this is a journal that accommodates a lot of different aesthetics; that there is probably something for everyone in it, unless you like poetry that's bland, easy, and doesn't make you think.

Which is why I'm making a new post for this, to remind lazy people like myself to read good journals like Parcel when you see a link to them.

3 comments:

potato said...

I don't understand how to read these poems. Is it because I'm a fiction writer? I click that lady's face and nothing happens. Usually when I touch a lady's body part without asking, something happens. Usually something good but sometimes something good that later turns terribly terribly bad. I don't know why Andrea mocks us by living in Colorado, wherever that is, and by creating ladies who will not respond to me. But I understand.

Kathryn said...

you click on parcel one. you don't click on the face. you are funny.

potato said...

Oh! Now that I understand not to touch the woman, I'm not sure I want to read these poems anymore, but I will try. I will try. Thanks Kathy!