Friday, September 7, 2007

Thinking with my stomach

So, while on my quest to find Hotel Theory, I panicked in the bookstore and thought I needed another book (not yet knowing that Hotel Theory would fill my soul for weeks to come), and after much deliberation of, like, six other books, I randomly chose one off the shelf.

Here's the deal, though: Now I believe I chose it specifically because it had chopsticks on the cover, and we were going to eat Thai food after our bookstore excursion. I chose this book because I wanted Thai food.

Anyway, I don't like it for a number of reasons, and I just remembered this morning--as I put myself into a progressively worse mood reading it on the train--that I don't have to read things I don't like.

Someone will leave tonight's meeting with this book in her bag. It will not be me. Guard your possessions closely: I enjoy a challenge.

9 comments:

potato said...

I actually had a good experience at the worst Border's in the world yesterday (Halsted and North) and got a copy of that awesome Canadian magazine Maisonneuve and Elfriede Jelinek's book Wonderful, Wonderful Times, which I think we should all read. It's brilliant and contains no descriptions of food, and the cover is a neutral and stylized picture of someone smashing someone else's face. She was called a "sensationalist, communist and anti-American hack" by the Weekly Standard.

Anonymous said...

I like the last name Jelinek. It makes me think of Strangers With Candy.

potato said...

Yes, and she's a much better writer than Iris Puffybush.

potato said...

Also, if we all learn to speak German, we can read Jelinek’s new novel online for free and not have to worry about when our book will arrive in the mail or the damage caused by pizza and bathtubs.

Anonymous said...

I can't stop giggling now, Meghan. Thank you.

Megan said...

face-smashin? i'm in.

Anonymous said...

Did you discover, Meghan, the special present in your bag?

potato said...

If by "special present" you mean that hideous horrible book, then yes. But I was hoping the "special present" would be the anal sex chair. I guess one cannot choose her special presents.

Anonymous said...

Believe, could I have fit the chair in your bag, I would have done so.